As many of you know, the last 3 yrs have been almost unbearable. Seemed like anything that could go wrong did. (Vehicles dying, computers crashing, vet bills, loss of career, bankruptcy, caring for a Bi-polar Parent, depression, loss of 3 family members, 2 moves, etc.) Someone who meant well recently asked me how we were doing and when I told her we were struggling, she chastized me saying, "Jesus is coming soon and you need to repent for your blatent spirit of discontent." This really floored me as I know God is good and I get up and praise Him- even in hard times. I asked her to explain and she said, "Well, you just need to learn how to be content with where you are and what you have. Maybe God is taking things away from you because you failed to thank Him enough for what you had." I thanked her for sharing her thoughts and parted with her words still bouncing around in my head.
I asked myself several questions such as, "Perhaps she's right? Maybe I am discontent, but how did I get that way?" It occurs to me that a spirit of discontent was etched into my soul since I was little. It started as I sat in the pew, my feet barely hanging off the edge of the seat. I remember the adults moaning and groaning about the world and all it's woes and how they longed for Heaven. I was raised to believe that we should never become attached to anything here on earth because "It's all gonna burn", even to the point of not forming friendships with "worldly people" or investing in pets because they were going to be destroyed.
Who can be happy living in cramped housing, while constantly being reminded that in Heaven there's a mansion waiting? If Jesus would only return, then things would be better. How can we feel settled, enjoy our lives or create strong connections within our communities when we are told that we should view ourselves as pilgrims passing through a strange land? How can we humble ourselves and build relationship with others if we view them as mediocre and below us?
Truly, everything fades here and terrible things take place in this world. My heart is tender toward such pain. I cannot bear to watch the news lest feelings of sorrow wash over me. But there is also good that remains here. We NEED to learn to see it, embrace it and thank The Almighty for it. There is still the laughter of children, the soothing sight of green meadows, the fresh smell after rain and the brightness of the sun. Boating on the lake, creating/enjoying music, hanging out with friends, camping in the mountains, dining, trail-riding, dancing in worship before a living God provides a great deal of pleasure for which I will not apologize. Enjoying these things does not make us long for Heaven any less. I do not value Paradise simply as a place where I will be well cared for and free from struggle. The draw for me is not the crown or having a mansion. NO- the greatest reason I want to be there is so that I can see & know God more clearly.
There's plenty of negative in this world. People face it everyday- everyone's a critic. Is there a way for believers to be positive about our faith without constantly belittling others or being unwilling to enjoy what we have in this life? Christ dined with friends, learned a trade, attended wedding feasts, went fishing & boating, visited the sick, hiked all over the countryside, slept under the stars, enjoyed story-telling, wore a well- made garment and loved to mingle with people of various persuasions- at the risk of His rep. I'm now the age He was when He died. I've lived long enough to get a pretty good feel for what life in this world is all about. Despite the barrage of troubles, I am still positive. I want to be in fellowship with those who choose to see the best in people and embrace their lives with passion.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I want to be in fellowship with those who choose to see the best in people and embrace their lives with passion.
I'm with you. I am tired of, but have compassion for, people who constantly criticize, moan and gripe about the world. The ones who constantly want to be somewhere else. Well, I hope they soon find somewhere else. I will try my best to be happy every day and enjoy the freedom and peace that God has given to me. I want to display that freedom and peace daily in my life so that others can see His mercy, and superabounding grace...
That's a great, loaded post.
I also agree with this:
"I want to be in fellowship with those who choose to see the best in people and embrace their lives with passion."
PS I saw a Celtic Woman DVD at Wal-mart the other day and almost bought it! Alas, another time!
"Someone who meant well recently asked me how we were doing and when I told her we were struggling, she chastized me saying, "Jesus is coming soon and you need to repent for your blatent spirit of discontent." "
If I might kindly suggest that the next time you see this person--run. Fast.
You deserve credit for holding up.
Glenn
Hi Trailady... It's been awhile since I stopped by (due mostly to a recent move), but in doing so just now I was reminded in your last two posts of how much I enjoy your perspective.
I love what you say about dancing in worship before God. I finally understand what that means for myself--and it's such a beautiful thing! I shared such a dance tonight in the front room of my house with my wife and two year old boy and I think it was one of the greatest experiences of my life!
I just finished reading the book "Man's Search for Meaning" by Victor Frankl and (if you haven't read it already) would highly recommend it to you. I think you'd find a kindred soul in its pages. I won't tell you what he says, but among other things, he puts forth the best explanation of the meaning of love that I've ever heard or ever thought possible.
Keep seeking the Kingdom. I'll see you there.
Hi Don, I think you hit the nail on the head in saying that we need to display freedom & peace by the way we live our lives. Ahhhh, mercy & grace after so many years of bondage & fear...
Lily, Awwww shucks! You'll get your CD sooner or later. :o)
Hi Bulworth, LOL! If I didn't know this person as well as I do, I probably would have walked away. I don't mind people sharing their views from time to time, but I refuse to argue and I'm not really hip on debating with people. There are a lot of people who think they have me all figured out and it's laughable. ;o)
Hi Chad, Glad you stopped by. The Kingdom of Heaven is here, right now, in my heart. When each of us can claim that and start living it, things are gonna happen, but we're always holding our breaths waiting for this far off or soon-coming event. I remember when it was time for me to go to college, and also when my husband & I considered having children, people were saying there was no time left, that Jesus would be here.
I do believe He will return, but I'm glad we didn't let that keep us from having kids, etc. Live Free!! :o)
Post a Comment