I have a strong sense of spiritual reverence for many things. Birth, death, marriage, the elderly, nature and especially the soul. I have attended many births as a Doula. I've also been at several deathbeds. I felt the presence of angels in the room- there is this amazing energy that saturates the environment. Marriage is sacred- an intimate, fragile dance between two uniquely different people. Nature? Well, let's just say that I've been known to weep at the sight of a beautiful mountain range. I stood atop a peak in Montana, tears rolling down my face simply because the air was so sweet & I felt so ALIVE. I do not worship them, but I respect the trees and creatures.
However, the soul is the most sacred part of who we are. Our spirit is what makes us human beings. I believe the soul element is comprised of passion, intellect and bio-chemical energy. We owe a reasonable degree of respect to the stranger on the street- simply because he/she is a living, breathing presence. I believe that upon connecting with the depth & richness of our own souls, there becomes a growing desire in us to recognize and honor others. It is important to take time to breathe, pray, relax and connect with our spiritual element- which requires us to step away from the daily grind and seek solitude.
Apostate, Backslider, Rebel, Grudge-holder, Black Sheep, Slacker, Legalist, Goody-Goody, Compromiser...... have you ever been called any of these negatives? How did it feel?? Positive labels also carry a bit of pressure- you feel you now have to measure up to the label you've been given.
A soul is precious to Almighty God- He does not wish to be separated from a single person. He wants to know us and be known by us. It's a beautiful thing! How can we so lightly label someone or their faith? Liberal -vs- conservative and denominationalism is all relative to me now. Recently I have been labeled a "Postmodern". Hmmm, wasn't exactly sure what this meant, so I had to look into it. Apparently Postmodern Christians are weary of the same ol' same ol' in lifeless churches today and are coming out of traditional, formal Christianity to breathe, examine and connect with God. Home gatherings, websites and blog communities are on the rise. Churches are alarmed, though I'm not sure why. Is it genuine concern that people are going to be lost or is it the loss of the tithes & offerings that causes the sting? Okay, well in that sense I guess I'm a "Postmodern". However, perhaps even being labeled in this way carries a certain mold that we are expected to fill. I am able to attend a church, enjoy the service and mingle with a smile on my face. I recognize that there are many good church groups out there. However, I can also enjoy sitting in someone's home with candlelight, music, finger food, hot drinks and a spiritual discussion over a certain concept or scripture passage. The love that has grown in me allows me to appreciate so many things.
I am like a wild mare, I don't want to be owned or branded. I want to be spirited and free, running through fields of Grace tossing my head. Labels are like a saddle & bridle- a fence. Whoever holds the reins is the one choosing my direction. I'm handing those over to God. He does fence me in with some boundaries for my own protection, however, I had no idea how broad His pastures are and submitting to Him is actually quite freeing!
Perhaps we should not be so quick to judge one another or assign labels? Only God knows the heart. See people for what/who they are. We are all sons & daughters of God, some just haven't come to realize & claim it yet.... Jesus didn't see a whore in the street. He saw a broken, wounded, hurting daughter of God and treated her as such. Eventually, she saw it in herself. God, give me your eyes. Help me not to stifle anyone's growth by labeling them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I love how you spoke to my spirit!
"I stood atop a peak in Montana, tears rolling down my face simply because the air was so sweet & I felt so ALIVE. I do not worship them, but I respect the trees and creatures."
"We owe a reasonable degree of respect to the stranger on the street- simply because he/she is a living, breathing presence. I believe that upon connecting with the depth & richness of our own souls, there becomes a growing desire in us to recognize and honor others."
"I am like a wild mare, I don't want to be owned or branded. I want to be spirited and free, running through fields of Grace tossing my head. Labels are like a saddle & bridle- a fence. Whoever holds the reins is the one choosing my direction. I'm handing those over to God. He does fence me in with some boundaries for my own protection, however, I had no idea how broad His pastures are and submitting to Him is actually quite freeing!"
These things are all so me! Thanks for sharing all this. Made my day!
Question. You were/are a Doula? That's got to be one of the most amazing jobs!
Hi Lily, Cool, glad you can relate.
ABSOLUTELY, being a Doula is one of the most wonderful things I've done. It's a tremendous privilege to be part of this sacred rite of passage by assisting mothers.
Welcome, "Postmodern" TL..he,he. I think I might enjoy being called a "Postmodern". One of my goals is to completely get away from labels. Man it is difficult to do all alone....Glad I don't have to do it alone..
Don, it is a joy and a comfort to seek God within a community of like-minded believers. :o)
Post a Comment