Sunday, February 25, 2007

Church Sign: Motivational Invitation?

Posted on 'True Church of God Pentecostal' sign:

"How to Escape Hellfire- Revival, March 11-18. Visitors welcome."

Oh goody, can I sit on the front row every night for this one?

Once again, sad to see Christians using scare tactics as a means to motivate people. Basically, they're saying, "God is angry- in fact He can't stand you, but we know the secret behavioral formula by which to appease Him and change His mind about you." Poor psychology at best. Why would anyone that wasn't already a part of their congregation want to attend just to be told how bad & how lost they are??

Yes, there were times in the Bible where God sent a PROPHET to speak some harsh words to stubborn people, but usually, He drew with lovingkindness. Also, Christ rebuked the self-righteous- not the hurting sinner. So why do entire denominations make Hellfire their main message??

I don't bring attention to the church signs because I have a perfect grasp on all truths. We are ALL learning. I'm just trying to make sense of the warped theology that STILL circulates in Christian churches. The more I get to know God for myself, the more clearly I see untruths that are being passed from one generation to another. God is love. If, by messing up we could change His mind about us, then we would, in a sense be controlling Him. Even when God punishes- yes He does that in the Bible, but it is out of love that He chastises. It is not people He despises, but harmful behaviors & unethical practices. God hates sin, not sinners. Big difference! Problem is, when we are focused on "escaping Hell", we become obsessed with avoiding sin and on external behaviors instead of trusting in the power of our Salvation.

The work is done. The race is won. God wants us to stop chasing our own tails and enter His Rest...

1 comment:

Don said...

AMEN!