Sunday, February 25, 2007

Of Blasphemy & Balance

This weekend I sang for another evangelistic pep-rally. I am always grateful for the opportunity to share the love of God through music. However, it was BIG church at it's best. Everything smoothly orchestrated- lest anyone say or sing anything even remotely objectionable.
In an impressive display, 12-16 pastors sat up front in big chairs, wearing 3 piece suits and shiny shoes. Even though we are in the "Bible Belt", they had stats-n-graphs to prove how over half of our area is "unchurched" and "lost". They had a formula of steps that church members in the area are expected to use in order to "win souls". Also, they had a 'commitment to evangelism' form that was to be sent out to every church in the area for members to sign. Is all this necessary? (I'm not against all methodology, but when did loving people & living the Gospel get to be so scientific?)

One young pastor told this dramatic tale of hiking with his dad on a glacier and sliding down to his death. Suddenly a single tree stopped him and saved his life. He then encouraged the congregation to "Be the tree for some lost person out there. People are sliding into darkness and it's up to us to rescue them". Sounds nice, but I don't want to be anyone's tree- do you? I'm in NO position to go about "rescuing" others- are you? I'm weary & broken- I can barely manage myself. But you see, there was a Tree standing on a hill several thousand years ago by which Christ rescued the human race.

Another Pastor got up saying, "God is up in Heaven. (He is?) There are many lost souls down here on the earth. (No kidding!) The church is the channel between the two, by which these people will be saved." (Say WHAT?) Christ is the Bridge- Holy Spirit is the Intercessor that crosses the great divide- NOT the church.

A third man said, "We are called to go out to sow the seeds and reap a harvest for the Lord. God needs more Bible workers in the field!" This sounds good, but who was the Sower scattering seed in the parable? Christ. Who prepares the soil of the soul? Holy Spirit. Who were the reapers? Angels- not men. Where did we get all this self-importance from? Jesus once said that if people were forbidden to praise Him, the very rocks would cry out. God can use donkeys to speak for Him. He's not sitting in Heaven wringing His hands and biting His fingernails because people aren't working hard enough. If anything, we've been over-zealous in trying to "win souls".
I sat in the front pew, often cringing inside. When will we Christians get over ourselves? Will the church ever give up the arrogance and follow the pattern of our humble Savior? Churchianity doesn't save anyone. You and I can befriend people, but it's up to Holy Spirit to bring any kind of conviction.

There was one balanced perspective- a Pastor Schmidt whom I'd never heard before. He talked about 'Friendship Evangelism'. Said we should each get to know our neighbors without fear, judging & suspicion. One way is to attend their social occasions- not to preach, but to mingle as Christ did.
He gave 4 survival tips for secular social settings:
1) SMILE- or they think you are having a terrible time and will try to cheer you up with drinks or dope.
2) FILL YOUR PLATE- if your plate is full, nobody can put something objectionable on your plate.
3) FILL YOUR GLASS- if you don't want to drink, keep your glass full of water." With a full plate, full glass and a smile, you can do fine at most any gathering.
4) Do NOT assume that just because someone does not attend your church they don't love Jesus". He also said that we shouldn't be quick to judge or view Muslims as "lost" because they believe in the God of Abraham as we do. We have NO place to hate anyone.

Well said! :o)

4 comments:

Don said...

I don't know how you still attend these services. I couldn't do it. I do know how you do it. It is your love of music that gets you thru. I have found "most" Christian music to be dogmaless and uplifting....

Trailady said...

Hi Don,
I love these people- even though the dogma wears on me. I feel sorry for those who are mentally, emotionally & spiritually trapped in bondage. I sing about the love & grace of God in hopes that others can come to know Him better and find rest in Him.

Yes, I'm amazed at how many misfits like me are out there doing music. Of course, I'm not a big famous person, but Rich Mullins was the perfect example of a misfit in music, David Wilcox, Pierce Pettis, Billy Crockett, Bob Bennett, etc. There are such deep sentiments and ideas in the music I listen to. Very touching!

bookwormaddict said...

Just found your blog. I'm definitely going to be back to read more:)

Bob H said...

We made a short video about this very topic. I put it on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWEuhgFiwvw